Page 10

ABOUT THE VILLAGE / PARISH

C. EMPLOYMENT THROUGH THE AGES

By 1950 a poultry hatchery had been established; a family concern which supplied day old chickens, ducklings and turkeys both locally and nationally, again providing local employment until closure in the 1970s.

carnstBoth the Market Garden and the Poultry farm used the rail network for transportation of their 'produce'.  Carnforth station and goods yard played an important role, employing many local men, as did Carnforth Ironworks.  Local women were employed in the dress factory and slipper works in Carnforth, which continued to thrive until the 1970s.

 

 

ŠJOHN S. GIBB

caphall1Historical records of the village show that some of the cottages served both as dwelling and shop/workshop or ale house.  These would have provided some local employment, as would a number of large houses; principally Hall Garth, Swarthdale House and Capernwray Hall, where villagers were employed as domestic staff and estate workers.  Today there is a general purpose store and Post Office combined, an antique shop and a single public house.

 

church250St Cuthbert's Church, established in the twelfth century, has a list of incumbents dating from 1540 and the present vicar resides in the village.

 

 

 

 

 

 

damesOver Kellet has provided education for it's children since 1677 and has seen the rise and fall of a Dames School and construction of the present school which provides employment for both full and part time teaching staff and assistants, some of whom live within the village.  The Head Teacher is a village resident, as also is a former Principal.

You can get the Android App - NeoReader QR & Barcode Scanner from Google Play

Get it on Google Play



Sitemap
Print Version
Contact
Login


Over Kellet, Carnforth, Lancashire, United Kingdom
Last update:
20 March 2019